From: Jane Smith [mailto:jb_smith(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, August 07, 2005 11:25 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: 2003 IBC & Inspection

This post concerns the submittal requirements for special inspection, a
quality assurance program and structural observation found in Chapter 17 of
the 2003 IBC.

For those engineers producing work for projects permitted in jurisdictions
enforcing the 2003 IBC:
- Special inspection requires more documentation by the "registered design
professional" than it did in the 1997 UBC. Have any building officials
required engineers to include in the drawings the special inspection
information listed in Section 1704 before issuing a permit?
- For those engineers already providing detailed special inspection
information in the drawings what form does it take? Inclusion of the
relevant it lines from the Tables in Section 1704 for steel, concrete and
masonry seems like a good start. What about the other structural and
non-structural materials listed in Section 1704?
- Has anyone submitted a quality assurance program as required by for wind
or seismic loading?
- For those projects requiring structural observation do engineers include
those requirement in the general notes or with special inspection
requirements?

This e-mail is intended to be delivered only to the named addressee(s) and
delete the transmitted material from your computer and server.  In no event
shall this material be read, used, stored, or retained by anyone other than
the named addressee(s) without the express written consent of the sender or
the named addressee(s).