How to calculate 'shear span-depth ratio'?

Hi!
Recently I read a paper, "Shear Strength of Reinforced Concrete Beams without Transverse Reinforcement." [ACI Structural Journal, Sep '01]
In page 651, it says, "It should be emphasized that M_u/V_cr d is not equal to a/d (shear span-depth ratio)."
And then, how can I calculate the ratio?
How could some textbooks say M_u/V_cr d and shear span-depth ratio are interchangeable?

****Wontae Kim****
Unistress Corp.
Pittsfield, MA 01201
(Tel)  413-629-2031