Re: SLIGHTLY O.T.: Cost of New Water Tanks

> Bill,
>
> Several years ago it was $1/gal. That was before the cost of
> steel/concrete
> went up. The figure does not include the foundations which will depend on
> your location.

Looks like I'll be able to answer my own question, at least partly:

According to my copy of "R S Means Building Construction Cost Data, 63rd
Annual Edition (2005),"

ELEVATED WATER STORAGE TANKS, NOT INCL. PIPE, PUMPS OR FOUNDATIONS, 100'
to bottom capacity line incl. painting:

1,000,000 Gals - $824,180

GROUND TANKS NOT INCL. PIP OR PUMPS, PRESTRESS CONC. (Assume like Crom or
Preload, etc.):

1,000,000 Gals - $548,100

(FWIW, the tank I'm contemplating wouldn't be nearly 100' to B.C.L. so I
could probably knock off say $100,000 from the steel tank option. Still,
interesting to note that the steel tank is more expensive--esp.
considering the foundation will have to be added).

(It looks like your $1/gal. is pretty close for new STEEL tanks, btw, even
including the foundation, at least for a high-capacity tank).

(Also FWIW: The city cost index for Birmingham is 97.1%, and for south
central PA where this project is, 99.1%.)