Slightly O.T.- Termite Threat

            Will,

                        Vendors of mulch other than wood bark always warn not to put wood mulch next to a house foundation because it may contain termites or termite eggs. I know a fellow who does then soaks it with malathion to kill anything there.

            Bill,

                        Thirty years ago, I was a Peace Corps Volunteer in Africa, and saw termite tunnels running up the trunks of living trees. They built the outside of the tunnels. They were surely different species and may not behave the same as termites here, and they may have found plenty of dead wood inside the living trees. I am not now, nor was I then, an entomologist, so what I saw might have been something else.

            Jim Getaz

            Winchester, Virginia