From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 3:16 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Threaded couplers for rods

Can any one tell me what capacity that I should use for a threaded rod
coupler for a 1" diameter rod?  I cannot seem to find capacities in
various companies catalogs.  I am assuming that it may not really matter,
that as long as proper material is spec'd and the coupler is long enough
that it will have more capacity than the rod (much like a proper nut).  If
so, what should the ASTM material spec be for a threaded coupler?  And
what about length?  I have found "standard" length ones (about 3" for a 1"
diameter rod) and "long" couplers (about 7" for a 1" diameter rod).

Thanks,

Scott
Adrian, MI