Top Running Crane Beam New to Existing Connection

I am in the process of designing a new independent top running crane system which is an extension of/connecting to an existing crane system. The crane is class D 25T. The existing crane beams are two-span continuous with the end bay beam cantilevered 3 feet past the support. We want to position the first new support a typical bay spacing (25’) away from the nearest existing support member. To do this I am considering attaching the new beam via 4-framing angles and short slots. I have checked the implications of this on the existing member from a beam design stand point. The other option would be to have the ends of the existing beam field cut off and span the new beam to sit on the existing column. This second option is less desirable from a cost stand point.

I would like to hear some of your opinions regarding using an end to end connection for a crane beam application.

Mark

mpuccio(--nospam--at)mpsqrd.com