Tributary Area

Nels,

I have always taken the tributary area as that area
that (con)tributes to the beam's load in a
"calculation" sense, ie half the floor span times the
beam span.

It could be argued that a parcel of load only 1" from
the far support contributes to the beam's load, but
it's not intuitive to me that it should be considered
within the "tributary" area.

So, if this is a democracy, I vote for half.

John Riley

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs