Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2005 9:20 AM
Subject: Tributary Area

What is the precise definition of Tributary Area for figuring live load reduction?  The UBC defines it as the area of floor or roof supported by the member.  If a beam supports one edge of a simple-span floor, is the tributary areas the span of the beam times width of the floor, or is it half that area because the beam supports only half the floor [the other half is supported on the other edge]?  I?ve seen it done both ways, and have done it both ways myself.

Nels Roselund, SE

South San Gabriel, CA

njineer(--nospam--at)att.net