Re: welding SS to A36

> Only leave it to a welder who knows how to do it. It's doable and done
> all the time, but there's a lot more to it than meets the eye.  For
> example, the carbon steel frequently has to be buttered with 309 or 310
> stainless before you can make a sound joint. This makes the
> metallurgical transition from austenitic to carbon steel less abrupt.
> There are also thermal expansion and corrosion issues. Make the weld
> shop show you written procedures and welder qualifications.

Chris:

You may be correct, but I don't recall that "buttering" is required. It
seems to me that we used to just weld direct (e.g. fillet) using the 309
or 310 rod.

And as far as "knowing what to do," that's no more true of this type of
welding than any other. The reason I "know" this is, I used to do it in
the CBI weld shop! IIRC, it was no different in "style" and practice than
welding SS-to-SS.

But again, we're talking twenty-some years ago....