Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: Light gage steel web stiffener

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Try the SSMA website ( where you can
download their catalog.  Though they don't have
specific information, they do provide guidance for web
stiffening.  Other than that, you'd have to get a hold
of an AISI CFS Design Manual.


--- Rich Lewis <seaint03(--nospam--at)> wrote:

> I'm looking for the detail requirements of a web
> stiffener for light gage
> steel joists at the bearing ends.  My loads are high
> enough to require
> stiffeners according to the manufacturer's
> literature.  Details I have seen
> use a piece of stud, same size as the bearing wall
> below, to stiffener the
> web.  My question is if there is a standard detail
> for the connection of the
> stiffener to the joist to assure is does what it is
> supposed to do?  I was
> wondering if 4 screws, 2 top & bottom, of the
> stiffener to the web (web to
> web) are sufficient.  Does it matter if the
> stiffener is on the back side of
> the web, or inside the flanges?  Also, if I have
> joists lapped at a bearing
> wall, back to back, the stiffener needs to be inside
> the flanges.  Are there
> any special requirements for putting the stiffener
> on the inside verses on
> the back face?
> Thanks.
> Rich

Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page 

******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
*   Read list FAQ at:
*   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers 
*   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To 
*   subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
*   Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at) Remember, any email you 
*   send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted 
*   without your permission. Make sure you visit our web 
*   site at: 
******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********