RE: Light gage steel web stiffener

Rich,

     Go to the Steel Stud Manufacturers Association web site (www.ssma.com), click on "Technical Library", and then click on "Cold Formed Steel Details". The last detail listed on the pdf file is "Typical Floor Framing". That detail shows stiffeners on the back side of the joist and a short explaination. The SSMA also has these details available as dxf files for your use.

     We always place web stiffeners on the backside of the joist unless we have the back-to-back joist condition you previously mentioned. It's more difficult for the field guys to cut the web stiffener, clean the cut edge, and then slide into place. (Also the flange width of a stud will typically match the flange width of the joist, so they won't fit. Then you have to use a piece of track for the web stiffener).

     We typically specify either five or six screws to hold a web stiffener in place (2 @ top, 2 @ bottom, 1 or 2 @ mid-point). The math is dependent on material thicknesses of the joist and the web stiffener, screw diameter, screw quantity, and the end reaction of the joist.

Byron Martin, PE
Silverhill Engineering

Rich Lewis <seaint03(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com> wrote:
Bill,

Thanks for the tip. I did that before sending the message. I even did a
google search. I found conflicting information. One site showed stiffeners
on the back of web. I talked to their tech rep. and he said they are
supposed to be inside the flange. One detail shows one screw with some
arrows for others, but doesn't specify how many screws are required where
the arrow points. I talked to another tech rep. and he said the design
engineer decides how many screws are needed, based on what, he couldn't tell
me . . . and round and round it went. That's why I went to the list for
experienced insight.

Rich