Re: wind lines and jurisdictions

I don't remember this language specifically.  Whenever this has occurred in the past the local building authority will usually dictate which level is required.  In Denver, for instance, they picked a particular main street and arbitrarily made this the demarcation line between wind zones.  If you are on one side of the street it is 80mph, the other is 100 mph.  You always have to draw the line somewhere....

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, August 12, 2005 9:54 AM
Subject: wind lines and jurisdictions

Does anyone have a recollection of a statement in the ASCE 7-98 Standard, Commentary, or perhaps in the ASCE 7-98 version of Kishor?s Guide that goes something like the following?

?when a wind speed line passes through a local jurisdiction, the line can be moved to the edge of the jurisdiction due to the fact that the lines are established by consensus of the ASCE 7 Task Committee and are not intended to be so precise as to require interpolation within the jurisdiction.?

I only have the 7-02 versions of the ASCE 7 Standard/Commentary/Guide and I can?t find this language in the newer documents.

Thanks in advance.

Christopher Banbury, PE

President

Ark Engineering, Incorporated

PO Box 10129, Brooksville, FL 34603-0129

22 North Broad ST, Brooksville, FL 34601

352.754.2424 (o)

352.754.2412 (f)

cbanbury(--nospam--at)arkengineering.net

www.arkengineering.net