RE: Al-yoo-minium

From: Bill Polhemus [mailto:bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc]
Sent: Friday, August 12, 2005 6:49 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re:Al-yoo-minium

> I did some design of Aluminium members about 20 years
> ago.

I just noticed: Is "Aluminium" an alternate spelling (and pronunciation)?
I am aware (from the old "Dr. Who" TV programs, as it happens) that the
Brits pronounce it thus, but I always figured it was just another
delightful Brit affectation (like their incessant trouble with
subject-verb agreement--"The team _are_ in high spirits and eager to begin
the match!")

Nope, it's A-LU-MIN-UM.

And there is no word spelled shrubbry, exstrordnry, or aboot for that
matter!

-Eli G