Re: GEOTECH: Need Advice in re So. Central PA

Bill,

I would say that your experience is not universal.  SEAMi (Structural
Engineers Association of Michigan) had the idea of creating a "guide" RFP
for Geotech service and one of the "major" geotech engineers in the area
was part of that.  From my experience, the geotechs in my area will
provide what you ask for...and if you don't ask for specific stuff, only
then will you get that report that looks like every other one.  Although,
frankly all geotech reports look alike, unless there are "unique" things
to deal with.

And FWIW, that same "major" geotech that worked with SEAMi is a friend,
who is usually more than glad to give me "ball park" values (no fee
required)for a site based upon his VAST experience with the region and
expected soils...does not elimnate the need for a soil report, but at
least can get me started in the right direction as to what kind of
foundation system I might be looking at (which is typically spreads for
most things around here, unless you head up to Lansing, MI...they have
some crappy soils with organics if I recall correctly so deep foundations
are usually required there...drilled piers or piles).

I guess my point is that the geotech that I have dealt with up here don't
match your experience.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI