RE: wind lines and jurisdictions

> My thought was directed at the structural engineer trying to be too
> precise
> in picking a wind zone to determine application of environmental loads.

Well, are we being "too precise" in picking seismic factors, then?

It's the same methodology: You have a map over which is superimposed a set
of contours. You can sort of "pick out" on the map the location of
interest, and interpolate the wind speed there from the contours.

It's quite simple, really.

In the end, just like the seismic factors, it comes down to probabilities.

I find it interesting that we just had a discussion about coming up with
seismic factors using latitude and longitude, when the probability
profiles are about the same as for wind load.

If anything, I wonder why we're "straining at gnats" trying to figure out
lines of demarcation. Pull out the map, look where you are, pull off the
wind speed.

Very, very simple.