Re: Al-yoo-minium

> From: "Eli Grassley" <elig(--nospam--at)psm-engineers.com>

> > From: Bill Polhemus [mailto:bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc]

> > I just noticed: Is "Aluminium" an alternate spelling (and
> > pronunciation)?
> > I am aware (from the old "Dr. Who" TV programs, as it happens) that the
> > Brits pronounce it thus, but I always figured it was just another
> > delightful Brit affectation (like their incessant trouble with

> Nope, it's A-LU-MIN-UM.

The Concise English Dictionary (published in Britain 1984, printed/bound
in Finland, bought in Canada) states:
Aluminium ....
Aluminum (see Aluminium)
They appear to swing both ways on this one.

Of course, this dictionary also has the "u" in labour, colour, etc. and
draughtsman rather than draftsman, programme/program, roof/roof, etc.

> From: "Roger Davis" <rdavis(--nospam--at)sdsarch.com>

> How about "masonary"?

Nope. Just masonry. But it doesn't have "ashphalt" or "nucular", either.

--
R. Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International