RE: wind lines and jurisdictions

> Bill,
>
> And I do believe that wind speed maps specifically state that linear
> interpolation between wind contours is permitted.  So, you can use a value
> of 94.3 mph (assuming you believe that you can be that "accurate") for the
> appropriate point between the 90 mph and 100 mph contour.

Believe it or not, in Gulf Coast area this "interpolation" thing is not a
small consideration. Of course, the contours are a bit closer
together--and I think rounding up to, say, the nearest 5 mph is
satisfactory.

But "political considerations" definitely hold sway. For instance the City
of Houston says "use 110 mph within the city limits, period." This is
interesting because any wind speed over 110, and you have to use
engineered design (although it can be according to WFCM for wood, e.g.)
rather than the prescriptive code requirements according to R301.2.1.1 of
the IRC.

110 mph is actually "conservative" for most of Houston, but there are
areas in the south and southeast quarter of the city that according to the
map are OVER 110--so if you buy or build there, beware!