Equivalent plate thickness

From: John J. Treff [mailto:jjtreff(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, August 14, 2005 7:13 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: ROOF DECK EQUIVALENT THICKNESS

Hello,
Are there any formulae, tables or procedures to calculate the equivalent

thickness of a roof deck as a flat plate?  I'd like to use shells in a=20
software program as roof sheeting and need to come up with an equivalent

thickness for the shells since I can not input the steel sheet shape. I=20
assume the material I will specify for the deck will be the same as the
_one_=20
the steel deck.

Thank you,

JJ
REPLY:

Just remember:

You must input stiffness-equivalent thickness to get
correct load distribution.

But then, your stress results will be incorrect.

Correct those by applying loads obtained above to the real thing.

Sincerely, Gregory