RE: Cold formed joist design

He is throwing a few pennies, and I do mean pennies, at a REAL structural
engineer, me.  He has just laid out the structure as he would like it, and I
am going through it, designing the members and telling him if what he has is
adequate or not.  This guy is actually doing things fairly well.  He at
least is having me look at the entire structure before he submits for a
building permit, which is a lot different from others in this area.  I had a
contractor come into the office yesterday with a set of drawings (done by a
designer) which had gone through the plan review process.  The plan
reviewers found several area of concern, mainly lateral questions.  He felt
I should put all my work aside to jump on his problem.  I told him that I
had several weeks of work on projects for clients to get done before they
get turned into the building department.  He said "I guess I should do that
too and have this stuff looked at before submitting". I said yea, it would
save everybody's schedule a few headaches.  At that he went away, probably
mad, but I felt better.

Joe

Joseph R. Grill, P.E. (Structural)
Shephard - Wesnitzer, Inc.