RE: Metal Stud Track Gage

I would suggest perhaps designing the track for practical considerations afterall the joists will never be placed perfectly.  Could the placement be off a 1/2" or even an 1"?

Jim K.
-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Holcomb [mailto:bholcomb(--nospam--at)brpae.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 16, 2005 11:23 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Metal Stud Track Gage

I haven’t seen an answer to your question, so I’ll throw in my 2 cents worth.

Since the floor joists are bearing directly above the wall studs, there would be no vertical load to design to (well, technically, bearing… but that won’t control).  The track needs to be thick enough such that the track flanges can resist the wall stud lateral end reaction.  SSMA has a design procedure on their website for deflection tracks, but I haven’t seen anything for non-deflection conditions.  I believe the principles would still apply and you can perform a rational analysis… each track flange resists in cantilever bending ½ the wall stud lateral end reaction.  But, for most typical walls I design, I simply match the track thickness to the wall stud thickness and that is adequate.

For the rim joist, I don’t know of a minimum thickness.  You might want to consider evaluating the rim joist with the weigh of a man at mid-span… assuming someone stands right at the floor edge.  But then again, typical floor sheathing will be spanning perpendicular to the joists and will carry this load.

BDH