From: Paul Ransom [mailto:ad026(--nospam--at)hwcn.org]
Sent: Tuesday, August 16, 2005 11:57 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: LG stud bridging

> From: "Kestner, James W." <jkestner(--nospam--at)somervilleinc.com>

> The traditional channel bridging needs to be fastenened at each stud =
> with angles and screws but there is bridging like Dietrich's "Spazzer" =
> that is installed, twisted and locks itself in place at each stud. =
> Perhaps this, or something similar, is what is being used. At laps, they =
> need to be screwed together.
>
> http://www.dietrichmetalframing.com/products/pdf/catalog_36,86.pdf

Thanks for the Dietrich lead. Bailey is the king around here.

This was straight bridging channel, about 1" x 18 ga x 12 or 16 foot
lengths, run through the bridging cut-outs of the stud. No locking, no
twisting, just friction for what it was worth. Laps fastened with a few
twists of stove-pipe wire.

In the ensuing discussions, the contractor was unable to provide any
documented support for his position. Failing that, he was adamant that I
did not provide enough detail in my drawings. I was adamant that it was
industry standard (his supllier could have given him details if he had
requested).

So what description do you put on your drawings when you deem bridging
to be necesary? A reference to "bridging", a note describing fasteners &
quantities or an actual graphic?

I have a current project with some tall steel stud framing. I am not
responsible for it this time. Maybe the architect will ensure that the
wall is properly spec'd and inspected .....

--
R. Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International