RE: Metal Stud Track Gage

Another 2 cents to support your suggestion...

I typically spec an 18ga track for an 18ga stud wall
and 16 ga for 16ga and heavier wall studs, provided
there are no other loading concerns.  Deflection
tracks are often heavier than the wall studs.

Thicker tracks can be a bear for the finish details,
especially door and wind jambs.

For the rim joist, I would assume the same, but that's
more of a guess than a what-I've-done.

Jim Wilson