Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Turning 1" Rod

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
You have already had some good responses.

One other option would be to weld a threaded piece of round stock onto a square bar. You would have to use a full pen weld, but I think that this is less expensive than machining the 1" square bar. They will put a nut on the threaded piece so that they can restrain it to keep it straight while they weld.

Any shop can do the weld using certified welders and proper inspection and testing. Not all shops can machine a long bar.

Harold Sprague

From: "Candi Anderson" <canderson(--nospam--at)>
Reply-To: <seaint(--nospam--at)>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)>
Subject: Turning 1" Rod
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 12:38:13 -0400

Anyone out there know if I can have a 1" square rod turned down to a
standard thread (UNC) 1" diameter rod?  Or, do I need the original
square rod to be larger?  I need to be able to attach a turnbuckle.
Thanks for any input.

Candi Anderson, P.E.

Don?t just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search!

******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
*   Read list FAQ at:
* * This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers * Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To * subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
* Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at) Remember, any email you * send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted * without your permission. Make sure you visit our web * site at: ******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********