Re: Plywood roof to steel angle connection

Self drilling screws are probably out of the question. The self drilling points are numbered #1 through #3, with the #3 being the longest and being able to drill through about 3/8" total material thickness before the threads engage. I try not to specify self-drillers for much beyond 1/4" base metal to keep from having installation difficulties (allows for pretty certain used with 14ga strapping to 1/4" angles).

I would tend to be wary of diaphragm values, as well, though you could probably look for screw-diameter equivalents, and use a reduction factor which is in line with your personal risk tolerance level.

Jordan