From: Gautam Manandhar [mailto:Gautam_Manandhar(--nospam--at)ci.richmond.ca.us]
Sent: August 17, 2005 12:37 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Plywood roof to steel angle connection

List members:

I am working on a residential remodel consisting of steel angle truss at
eigth feet on centers.  The architect does not want any nailers on the
trusses.  2x4 roof joist span parallel to the trusses and supported by 6x3
1/2 x 5/16 double angles spanning between the trusses.  The thickness of the
angle is 1/2".  The plywood sheathing is 1/2".  What kind of self drilling
screws are usually specd out.  Self drilling metal screws to connect plywood
to metal usually are for metal thickness upto 20 gage.  Is it possilbe to
spec out pre-drilling the angle and then inserting a 8# self drilling
grabber metal screws.

Gautam