From: Mark [mailto:imagineer66(--nospam--at)comcast.net]
Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2005 11:09 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Using Geofoam under parking lots

Project: Snow Melting under parking lot and alleyway.  The kicker is that occasionally a 15-ton crane to remove rooftop equipment, etc. sets up in the alleyway.

The manufacturers of the hydronic snow melt system require insulation under their tubing because the water table is within 8 feet.  After some research, I've found that GeoFoam is used under highways, bridges, and abutments.  This sounds like it might be the stuff to use.  I've gone to several websites (geofoam.org, geofoam.com, http://geofoam.syr.edu/, and a couple of manufacturer's sites).  Alas, I still don't have a good handle on this.

Has anyone used this under roadways?  Is 10psi flexural strength really strong enough to support heavy vehicles?

Thanks in advance,
Mark Jones