Re: Plywood roof to steel angle connection

The hole is not oversized too much and with a flat
head screw, the plywood gets squeezed pretty good.
I'm not sure what you mean by a "full diameter shank."

Paul.

--- "Jordan Truesdell, PE"
<seaint1(--nospam--at)truesdellengineering.com> wrote:

---------------------------------
  Does the screw use a full diameter shank, or does
the resulting holedrilled by the wings result in a
"loose" connection / oversized hole?

Jordan

Paul Blomberg wrote:
I've had good experience with a DART flat head
wingedself drilling self tapping screw.  The screw
goesthrough plywood and into up to steel 1/4".
The"wings" cut a larger hole through the wood and
breakoff when they hit the steel.  This way the wood
has apilot hole that is large enough that the screw
threadsclear and the panel and won't push away from
fullbearing on the steel while drilling.Some of their
other screws claim to 1/2" steel (hexwasher head DARTS
self-drilling screws).  Their web site
ishttp://www.marker-darts.com/section9/ptlstdarts.htm#flat%20headand
they have an ICC report.Paul.Phoenix, AZ--- Gautam
Manandhar<Gautam_Manandhar(--nospam--at)ci.richmond.ca.us> wrote:

List members:I am working on a residential remodel
consisting ofsteel angle truss at eigth feet on
centers.  Thearchitect does not want any nailers on
the trusses. 2x4 roof joist span parallel to the
trusses andsupported by 6x3 1/2 x 5/16 double angles
spanningbetween the trusses.  The thickness of the
angle is1/2".  The plywood sheathing is 1/2".  What
kind ofself drilling screws are usually specd out.
Selfdrilling metal screws to connect plywood to
metalusually are for metal thickness upto 20 gage.  Is
itpossilbe to spec out pre-drilling the angle and
theninserting a 8# self drilling grabber metal screws.
Gautam******* ****** ******* ******** *******
seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org. Remember, anyemail you*   send
to the list is public domain and may bere-posted*
without your permission. Make sure you visit ourweb*
site at: http://www.seaint.org******* ****** ******
****** ******* ****** **************

seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org. Remember, any email you *   send
to the list is public domain and may be re-posted *
without your permission. Make sure you visit our web *
  site at: http://www.seaint.org ******* ****** ******

******* ****   Read list FAQ at:
http://www.seaint.org/list_FAQ.asp* *   This email was
sent to you via Structural Engineers *   Association
of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To *
subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:**
http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp**   Questions to

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs