Re: Plywood roof to steel angle connection

Jordon:

Grabber screws are 1 3/4" in long.  According an APA report, the screw should extend at least three threads beyond the steel.  I am presumming that if I predrill the steel, I could use the shear value provided be Grabber.  What do you think.

Gautam

>>> seaint1(--nospam--at)truesdellengineering.com 08/17/05 10:46AM >>>
Self drilling screws are probably out of the question. The self drilling
points are numbered #1 through #3, with the #3 being the longest and
being able to drill through about 3/8" total material thickness before
the threads engage. I try not to specify self-drillers for much beyond
1/4" base metal to keep from having installation difficulties (allows
for pretty certain used with 14ga strapping to 1/4" angles).

I would tend to be wary of diaphragm values, as well, though you could
probably look for screw-diameter equivalents, and use a reduction factor
which is in line with your personal risk tolerance level.

Jordan