RE: Using Geofoam under parking lots

> Scott, William N. [mailto:William.Scott(--nospam--at)veco.com] wrote:

> We often use close-celled polystyrene (pink or blue board) under
buildings and roadways.
> The compressive strength range up to 60 psi (8640 psf).

> Note that 10 psi (1440 psf) is also a good load capacity when buried
using the shear
> value of the road gravel to spread the load pressure.

Our design is to have this under 6 inches of concrete.  I'm going to
assume that the concrete will act as well as road gravel.

> What is really important is the materials ability to resist water
absorption that degrades
> the strength and thermal resistance values.

Is closed-cell poly better than EPS?  One of our items in the spec is
that it should be water retarded.

> We also place a petroleum resistance liner above the insulation if
spills may occur.

That might also be an option.  I'll check with the client about what
trucks unload in this area.

Thanks for the help,
Mark