From: Harold Sprague [mailto:spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2005 11:14 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Typical Stud Size for Embedded Plate

Rich,

If it is lightly loaded you could go down to 1/4" studs with 1/4" plate.
like to use the same thickness of plate as the studs.  (That is not an
absolute, but it keeps me out of trouble)  Precast and tilt-up is
generally
heavier, and I would not use it as an example of a light connection
plate.
You can use either studs or "deformed bar anchors".  Both can be shot
on.
Do not weld rebar to plates.  Use "deformed bar anchors" (DBA's).

Check out:
http://www.studwelding.com/
http://www.nelsonstudwelding.com/literature.htm
for standard sized of studs or DBA's.

I like to allow at lease 2" on the side for misplacement of the embed
plate.
  If you have the room, you can add a couple of #4's in each direction
parallel to the embed plate to intercept the failure plane of the shear
cone.

Regards,
Harold Sprague

>From: "Rich Lewis" <seaint03(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com>
>To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
>Subject: Typical Stud Size for Embedded Plate
>Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 09:21:51 -0500
>
>I'm looking to embed some plates in a concrete foundation wall to
support
>some lightly loaded steel beams.  I would like to use headed studs
welded
>a plate.  What is the typical size of stud used for embedded plates?
What
>is typically used in precast or tilt-up panels for most common plates?
Is
>there a typical detail for rebar added in the local area of the studs?
>

>Thanks!
>

>Rich

FREE!