From: Harold Sprague [mailto:spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2005 9:14 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Typical Stud Size for Embedded Plate

Rich,

If it is lightly loaded you could go down to 1/4" studs with 1/4" plate. I
like to use the same thickness of plate as the studs.  (That is not an
absolute, but it keeps me out of trouble)  Precast and tilt-up is generally
heavier, and I would not use it as an example of a light connection plate.
You can use either studs or "deformed bar anchors".  Both can be shot on.
Do not weld rebar to plates.  Use "deformed bar anchors" (DBA's).

Check out:
http://www.studwelding.com/
http://www.nelsonstudwelding.com/literature.htm
for standard sized of studs or DBA's.

I like to allow at lease 2" on the side for misplacement of the embed plate.

  If you have the room, you can add a couple of #4's in each direction
parallel to the embed plate to intercept the failure plane of the shear
cone.

Regards,
Harold Sprague