Re: Pins Supporting Rebar

Rich,

This is one of those things that is done often but is still a very bad idea.  The problem is not so much a path for moisture but in the presents of moisture on the underside of your foundation and especially if there are any mineral salts in the soil you will set up a battery effect and potentially start corrosion throughout your entire rebar system.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

"Rich Lewis" <seaint03(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com>

08/19/2005 07:54 AM

Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
Pins Supporting Rebar

I have a question regarding rebar support in foundation construction.  It is very common in the area I work to drive #3 bars into the ground and tie rebar up on the pins instead of on chairs or blocks.  This occurs primarily in grade beams and column footings.  My gut feeling is to reject this.  I was wondering if there have been any studies done on the affects of this regarding rebar corrosion.  Is it possible the pins create a path for moisture to eventually penetrate and corrode the foundation reinforcement, or am I over reacting to this?  Is this common in other areas of the country?

Thanks.

Rich