Re: Pins Supporting Rebar

Then in our design of foundations, do we take measures
to insure that the concrete doesn't crack?  JPRiley

No, we traditionally provide greater cover than for air-exposed
concrete to reduce the likelihood of the crack providing a direct,
significant moisture path to the rebar.  Corrosion products can
provide very effective splitting forces and open quite large cracks,
even in fairly large blocks of concrete.  We also tend to take or
consider reasonable steps to avoid *promoting* water penetration such
as ensuring adequate drainage for the site and not placing penetrations
that would tend to direct moisture to the rebar cage.

I'll ask a question in return:  Would you advocate laying steel
directly on soil?  Why or why not?  How is that condition
significantly different from placing part of your cage (the stakes)
in direct contact with the soil?

I've seen rebar used as stakes for water breaks on trails rust
through in a couple of years.  I've also seen them last for many
years apparently undamaged.  Based on the variability I've seen,
I would be disinclined to advocate (or permit, given the authority
to prohibit) the practice of using rebar stakes to support cages,
particularly considering how cheap dobies and bolsters are.

As I said before, just my opinion.

Charley

--
Charles Hamilton, PhD EIT               PGR and Lecturer