RE: HSS Connections - Not Conventional

 I see A588 in the LRFD spec, but I didn't see A588 listed at the front of the AISC HSS spec. Is it alright to still use it for this steel?

Will

From: "David Maynard" <davemaynard(--nospam--at)ceincorp.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: HSS Connections - Not Conventional
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 13:40:48 -0600

Sorry for bugging everyone with these problems, but if there is an area of the AISC design manual that isn't extremely clear, I believe the HSS one to be it.  Then again, it could be the lack of clarity results from a VERY long week.  Never the less....

My contractor made the brilliant move of estimating a project that he is doing based on, what he thought were, members sizes and geometry that would suit the purpose of a 50 ft mono-slope roof truss.  He's using rectangular tube shapes, 2x4x14 ga., ASTM A588 (got the mill specs on this one to verify).  However, after running several analysis on varied geometries, I can't get a single 2x4 to work for his application, with respect to the top and bottome chords.

His next option was to double up the members on the top and bottom, so that two members would share the load.  His connection option was to have the web members "sandwiched" between the chord members, much like a typical steel bar joists (bar ends are connected between the vertical legs of the angles of the chords).

I have never done this type of connection and I was hoping to get a little assistance on this.  If I can develope enough weld to make the connection (which may be a feet in and of itself, seeing as how the walls are so thin), is this connection a viable option???  And if so, what sort of local stresses should I be checking for this condition???  It isn't very conventional, but this is something that the contractor is looking into in, what he believes to be, a cost saving option.  (I tend to not argue with contractors about "cost savings" when they come to me with this type of post-proposed problem and ask me to "make it work")  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
David Maynard, PE
Gillette, Wyoming

Download today's top songs at MSN Music from artists like U2, Eminem, & Kelly Clarkson ******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* *** * Read list FAQ at: http://www.seaint.org/list_FAQ.asp * * This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers * Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To * subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to: * * http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp * * Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org. Remember, any email you * send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted * without your permission. Make sure you visit our web * site at: http://www.seaint.org ******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********