Re: Uniform loadings on building code.

It seems to me that you would want to use the code-specified 75 psf as the minimum load and then check the floor design for what you consider to be the more "realistic" loads, which would be the equipment and perhaps 40 psf in all areas not occupied by equipment.  The equipment might be replaced later and probably wouldn't get lighter, so saving a few rebars is hardly worth the effort or potential liability.

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA USA

In a message dated 8/19/05 4:24:39 PM, jemoto(--nospam--at)lava.net writes:

Building code live loads are typically MINIMUM required loads and must be increased if your loading exceeds them.  They cannot be lowered though.  Even if your mechanical loads are lower now, they could change over the life of the building.

Jason Emoto

From: hadiprawira djohan [mailto:hadiprawira(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, August 19, 2005 11:49 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Uniform loadings on building code.

Fellow Engineers,
I am designing a floor system for a mechanical room and I was provided with all the size, location, and weight of the mechanical equipements.
Based on the local code, 75 PSF Live load is required for mechanical room.
Does it mean that i need to use 75 PSF LL + my equipment loadings, or am I allowed to reduce the required 75 PSF LL (i.e. to 40 PSF) considering i have designed my floor exactly the way it will be utilized.
The way I understand is that 75 PSF LL is just a design perimeter if the mech. loadings are unknown. The structure will never be fully loaded by 75 PSF or its equivalent concentrated loading during the lifetime.
Please correct me if i am wrong!
Does anyone know when an engineer is allowed to overwrite the Building code loadings requirements if the loadings stated in the building code has became not practical?
thank you in advance.
djohan.