Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

What is it called?

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
I should really put this on some architectural listserve, but I don't
know any.  Besides, I like you guys (and gals) better.

There's a thing that gets put on the front of buildings.  The section
looks like this:


In this case it overhangs the walls by a few inches, say 5 1/2", and is
about 24" deep.

A particular industry I work with calls it a "mansard", which drives me
crazy.  A mansard is a double slope roof named after a Frenchman.

The best I can come up with is "eave/fascia"

I believe some architects would just call it "fascia", but I don't like
that because in wood framed construction that usually means just a small
trim piece of 1x that goes over a "sub-fascia", which is a 2x.

I don't like just "eave" because it doesn't have much overhang.

The style of building is your plain-modern-economical office/retail/etc.

Any good and technically correct terms?


Ed Tornberg
Tornberg Consulting, LLC

******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
*   Read list FAQ at:
*   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers 
*   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To 
*   subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
*   Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at) Remember, any email you 
*   send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted 
*   without your permission. Make sure you visit our web 
*   site at: 
******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********