RE: What is it called?

How about Cornice?

________________________________

From: Ed Tornberg [mailto:ed(--nospam--at)tornbergconsulting.com]
Sent: Mon 8/22/2005 8:26 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: What is it called?

I should really put this on some architectural listserve, but I don't
know any.  Besides, I like you guys (and gals) better.

There's a thing that gets put on the front of buildings.  The section
looks like this:

__________________________

                                __|

________________________|__________

In this case it overhangs the walls by a few inches, say 5 1/2", and is
about 24" deep.

A particular industry I work with calls it a "mansard", which drives me
crazy.  A mansard is a double slope roof named after a Frenchman.

The best I can come up with is "eave/fascia"

I believe some architects would just call it "fascia", but I don't like
that because in wood framed construction that usually means just a small
trim piece of 1x that goes over a "sub-fascia", which is a 2x.

I don't like just "eave" because it doesn't have much overhang.

The style of building is your plain-modern-economical office/retail/etc.

Any good and technically correct terms?

TIA,

Ed Tornberg
Tornberg Consulting, LLC