Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: What is it called?

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

The feature you are describing appears to be more of a "reveal". It could also be described as an offset.

Re: Dictionary of Architecture and Construction, Ed Cyril M. Harris

I have use a reveal as a good device to avoid aesthetic problems at the base of a masonry wall. Concrete in the forms will not have the same tolerance as the face of a masonry wall. I like to put a 1x at the base of the masonry wall and let the masonry hang out over the edge with the flashing. It creates a shadow line. If the masonry is flush (in theory) the concrete will be in front of the masonry face and behind the masonry face at portions along the wall. The reveal hides that concrete / masonry tolerance incompatabilty.

A mansard is not correct. As you state, a mansard is a change of roof pitch. And fascia is too general to describe what you have presented.

Harold Sprague

From: "Ed Tornberg" <ed(--nospam--at)>
Reply-To: <seaint(--nospam--at)>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)>
Subject: What is it called?
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 20:26:56 -0700

I should really put this on some architectural listserve, but I don't
know any.  Besides, I like you guys (and gals) better.

There's a thing that gets put on the front of buildings.  The section
looks like this:


In this case it overhangs the walls by a few inches, say 5 1/2", and is
about 24" deep.

A particular industry I work with calls it a "mansard", which drives me
crazy.  A mansard is a double slope roof named after a Frenchman.

The best I can come up with is "eave/fascia"

I believe some architects would just call it "fascia", but I don't like
that because in wood framed construction that usually means just a small
trim piece of 1x that goes over a "sub-fascia", which is a 2x.

I don't like just "eave" because it doesn't have much overhang.

The style of building is your plain-modern-economical office/retail/etc.

Any good and technically correct terms?


Ed Tornberg
Tornberg Consulting, LLC

Is your PC infected? Get a FREE online computer virus scan from McAfee® Security.

******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
*   Read list FAQ at:
* * This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers * Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To * subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
* Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at) Remember, any email you * send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted * without your permission. Make sure you visit our web * site at: ******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********