From: Nels Roselund [mailto:njineer(--nospam--at)att.net]
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 5:41 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: What is it called?

Ed,

Cornice is a good word for the feature.  A simple projection could also
be
called a crown molding.  If it were more complex, with several bands of
decorations of varying projections and designs, it would be an
entablature,
each band having a name: it is capped with the cornice, over the frieze,
all
above the architrave.  That's what I learned from having spent too much
time
around historic architects.

Nels Roselund, SE
South San Gabriel, CA