HSS moment connections

For a tube to tube moment connection, I’m used to showing the tubes with miter cuts, then calling out full penetration weld all round.

The contractor wants to keep the ends square, butt them, cap the open end, and call it good.  Is that okay?  I suppose if the welds are still accomplished properly it would work.  In fact, the inside corner might be easier this way.

Forgive me, I’m not a detailer and don’t have an HSS connections manual.

Thanks,

Ed Tornberg

Tornberg Consulting, LLC

503-551-4165