From: Eli Grassley [mailto:elig(--nospam--at)psm-engineers.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 10:54 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: HSS moment connections

Ed –

I always show the 45 deg cuts and full pen welds at an HSS moment connection.  As long as you can count on the full strength of the steel being developed at the weld I don’t think it matters though.  Be sure to use an R factor of 3.5 for “ordinary steel moment frames” with this type of connection.

I am guessing this is for a residential thing?  I don’t know that you would want to use this type of a connection for a large commercial project.

~~ Eli Grassley, PE