Re: HSS moment connections

The best detail I've seen is the miter cut but with a solid plate
sandwiched between the cut ends.  This is probably the most expensive
detail of those mentioned, but it provides a stiffener to take the load
that unbalanced load from the middle of the "flange" sides.   This probably
comes closest to getting the full moment capacity of the tubes.

Ed Haninger
Fluor
Aliso Viejo

                      Christopher Wright
                      <chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.co      To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
                      m>
                      08/24/2005 10:55 AM      cc:
                      Please respond to
                      seaint                   Subject:  Re: HSS moment connections

                                                                                                                                     .

On Aug 24, 2005, at 12:26 PM, Ed Tornberg wrote:

> The contractor wants to keep the ends square, butt them, cap the open
> end, and call it good.  Is that okay?  I suppose if the welds are
> still accomplished properly it would work.  In fact, the inside corner
> might be easier this way.

With mitre joints you get a big stress right at the corners where the
flange loads, acting normal to each other resolve themselves. The weld
isn't the best place to pick this stress up particularly because the
welds are made from one side, and the root tends to have a poor
contour. The contractor may be right, except that joining two identical
sizes of tubing ar tight angles isn't the best detail either. You might
want to look at this fairly carefully

1864)
http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/

the views of the company.