From: John Riley [mailto:jpriley485(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 3:34 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Visual Analysis

I'm having trouble in Visual Analysis modeling a
relatively simple building.  To simulate the floor and
roof diaphragms I first entered plates; steel for roof
and concrete for floor.  I think I'm having two
problems with this approach.

1. The plate weights are added to the nodes.
2. FEM's are added to the nodes.

VA has a rigid diaphragm feature, which I thought
would be better.  Trouble is, I have a couple nodes at
each level that can't translate laterally because of
existing construction.  If I put a lateral support at
those nodes, VA doesn't like it because I guess you
can't have supports in the plane of a rigid diaphragm.

Can anyone help?

John Riley

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs