Re: HSS moment connections

Ed,
I try to avoid these mitre cuts as they are extremely
hard to weld and achieve full penetration. Just look
at the geometry of the corner.  The best way to get a
full pen weld is with back-up bars, but how do you fit
a back-up bar into the corner of the "flanges".  Your
contractor's suggestion is better, but still requires a
lot of weld because of the flare bevel welds required
where the straight end meets the round corner on the
"webs".  If the forces allow it, I would cut the HSS
on a mitre and then fit a plate on the mitre which is
larger than the HSS dimensions and fillet weld the 2
tubes to the plate.  Simple and clean, but doesn't
work well where large fillets are required.
Gary