RE: Green Sandwich Technology: Foam Core - Concrete Veneer

In my construction and engineering experience, this structural framing
technology has been around for more than 35 years.  There are several
manufactures that currently pre-fabricate the panels with current ICC -
Evaluation reports.  Impac International(ICC-ER3509) and Tridi-Systems
(ICC-ER5774).  There are a number of other manufactures in other countries
and millions of square feet of the framing system have been used for
structures all over the world.
	The key to the structural system is the application of the 1.5 +/- inches
of concrete veneer on the wire frame panel after it has been erected.  For
the projects that I have designed, I specify shotcrete application of 2500
psi concrete veneer which is applied in a full 1.5 inch shot Crete
thickness.  From the testing data that I have studied the typical wall
assemblies have significant axial and lateral strength for most walls up to
20 high with typical design forces.
	 I have been very interested in using the Foam Core - Concrete Veneer
system for in-plain shear walls for multi-floor buildings.  I have been able
to review some cyclic racking shear testing performed at the University of
Mexico City during mid 1990's.  These test illustrate that there is
substantial capacity and the assembly is surprisingly resilient.  In any
case none of the current manufactures that supply the materials to the west
coast currently have any In-plane shear testing under an ICC - Acceptance
Criteria.  Yes, I am currently working with a testing facility to complete a
battery of panel Racking-shear testing.
	With the future emphasis on energy (Title -24) compliance I see many
advantages of the Foam Core-Concrete Veneer framing systems.  (The concrete
veneer on both sides of exterior walls will eliminate the air-leakage, there
is no wall cavity for mold to grow, and the fire rating with the concrete
veneer on both sides is obvious.)  On one of my last projects,  I was forced
to comply with the T-24 using the built-up component formula.  I am also
working with 2 of the manufactures asking that they invest in a full scale
thermal conductivity test that will provide accurate "R" values for the
assembly.
Please call if you have additional questions>>>>
Jim L. Chatterley PE
Composite Framing Systems, Inc.
2723 Currier Ave., Simi Valley, California, 93065
805-520-3666   Fax 805-583-1434
www.Compositeframingsystems.com