RE: Round Concrete beam

Hopefully you have the 2003 IRC available. Check section R611.

Bob Shaw

From: Joe Grill [mailto:jgrill(--nospam--at)swiaz.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2005 12:36 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Round Concrete beam

Our office is in the process of a move, so most of my library is in boxes.  I am attempting to do some design for a home where the architect wants to use an ICF type of wall construction.  This particular manufacturer has yet to complete testing, so there aren’t design tables available from the manufacturer.  Basically the vertical cells are round with a single #5 bar centered in the cell.  To find the flexural capacity of the cell, can I use a square section with an equivalent area?  It seems I read that in a design manual for ICF type of products but I can’t find the manual because of the move.  Can anyone comment, or should I keep looking for the manual.  Please don’t make me go through all those boxes.

Thanks,

Joe

Joseph R. Grill, P.E. (Structural)

Shephard - Wesnitzer, Inc.