From: Jeremy South [mailto:jslist(--nospam--at)apt38.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2005 3:27 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: contouring in Autocad

That actually sounds like a pretty good way to do it manually.

Being a civil guy turned structural and now back to civil (don't
shoot me), the two civil companies I have worked work have always
used Eagle Point. Basically, EP creates a 3D TIN and then generates
the contours as 3D polylines.

I've not used an AutoDesk product other than basic AutoCAD, but I'm
sure their Land Desktop addin certainly has this feature.

I've seen several other "cheap" AutoCAD plugins, but haven't used
them much and my experience with them has been less than stellar.

Jeremy

"David Merrick" <MRKGP(--nospam--at)winfirst.com> wrote:
(08/25/2005 14:17)

>I have received Survey data as a dwg file of points with 3-D coordinates.
>I want to make the contours.
>What product does Autodesk have to make contours?
>
>Here is how I have done it in the past.
>
>In summary straight lines are drawn between known elevations. The 3-D face
object is used at a given elevation to hide all parts of lines below that
elevation. Connecting these line-cuts, with a closed poly-line curve,
creates a contour at the linearly interpolated locations between the given
elevation points. Following are the steps involved.

>   1) Survey points as nodes in 3-D space (x,y,z).
>
>   2) Set nodes to view as a symbol to be seen in plan view. (Format/Point
style)

>   3) Draw black lines connecting the points, in plan view, snapping to 3-D
points, (Tools/Object snap settings / node (only)). Connect all points to
all other points surrounding that point.

>   4) In plan view, use a separate layer and color red. Draw the contour
face; this is to be the elevation plane for locating contours
(Draw/Surfaces/3Dface), z default is 0. Place boundaries beyond the image
needed.

>   5) Switch to elevation view. The nodes will appear as short lines. Move
the elevation plane (appears as a red line at z=0) to the desired elevation
by modifying the Z coordinates to one elevation. (Modify/Properties/select
3Dface) This same face is to be used for each contour elevation needed.

>   6) Switch back to plan view. Run the Hide option. (View/Hide) this will
hide lines and parts of lines connecting the elevations that are below the
chosen elevation of the 3d Face.

>   7) Draw P-line contour using "snap to nearest" snap   (object snap
settings / snap to nearest) (Draw/Polyline) select where lines are cut short
by the hidden view that is at the ends that have no node. Make one
continuous P=line end at start point by typing the command "close"

>   7) Expose all lines and nodes by regenerating image (View/Regen)
>
>   8) To make a curve Modify P-line to curve. (Modify/Properties/curve-fit)
pick the contour P-line and choose (curve-fit).