Re: Concrete Cover (Flat Slab)

Technically, the slabs adjacent to the ramp are still interior, but I would not hesitate to add a little extra cover if you believe the geometry is susceptible to weather exposure.

Otherwise, check your fire rating requirements.  Garage under apartments will require minimum two hour or three hour separation depending on the code you are using.  You may require 1" cover for fire.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2005 12:23 AM
Subject: Concrete Cover (Flat Slab)

I would like to find out what other engineers are using as concrete cover for the underside of flat plate slab. The slab is covering an underground (basement) parking for an apartment building.  The code say that the clear cover shall be 1 1/2" if it exposed to weather and 3/4" if it is not.  Since it is covered, I always use 3/4" clear cover for #5 and less bars.  But how about the slabs adjacent to the ramp? They are somewhat be exposed to weather, dont you think? Thanks for your input.

ASQuilala