Re: contouring in Autocad

I've used AutoCAD Civil series in the past for that. I am more involved
in parking structures now.
But I think they have discontinued the series. So you have to go for
Autodesk Land Development Desktop.
Hope it helps.

Simon
Watry Design, Inc.

>>> MRKGP(--nospam--at)winfirst.com 8/25/2005 12:17:16 PM >>>
I have received Survey data as a dwg file of points with 3-D
coordinates.
I want to make the contours.
What product does Autodesk have to make contours?

Here is how I have done it in the past.

In summary straight lines are drawn between known elevations. The 3-D
face object is used at a given elevation to hide all parts of lines
below that elevation. Connecting these line-cuts, with a closed
poly-line curve, creates a contour at the linearly interpolated
locations between the given elevation points. Following are the steps
involved.

   1) Survey points as nodes in 3-D space (x,y,z).

   2) Set nodes to view as a symbol to be seen in plan view.
(Format/Point style)

   3) Draw black lines connecting the points, in plan view, snapping to
3-D points, (Tools/Object snap settings / node (only)). Connect all
points to all other points surrounding that point.

   4) In plan view, use a separate layer and color red. Draw the
contour face; this is to be the elevation plane for locating contours
(Draw/Surfaces/3Dface), z default is 0. Place boundaries beyond the
image needed.

   5) Switch to elevation view. The nodes will appear as short lines.
Move the elevation plane (appears as a red line at z=0) to the desired
elevation by modifying the Z coordinates to one elevation.
(Modify/Properties/select 3Dface) This same face is to be used for each
contour elevation needed.

   6) Switch back to plan view. Run the Hide option. (View/Hide) this
will hide lines and parts of lines connecting the elevations that are
below the chosen elevation of the 3d Face.

   7) Draw P-line contour using "snap to nearest" snap   (object snap
settings / snap to nearest) (Draw/Polyline) select where lines are cut
short by the hidden view that is at the ends that have no node. Make one
continuous P=line end at start point by typing the command "close"

   7) Expose all lines and nodes by regenerating image (View/Regen)

   8) To make a curve Modify P-line to curve.
(Modify/Properties/curve-fit) pick the contour P-line and choose
(curve-fit).

David Merrick, SE