Re: contouring in Autocad

a couple of year back, I had to draw contours of a
concrete floor given some 3D survey points.

This can be done using AutoCAD by drawing triangles
using 3DPOLY lines and extruding along a path to
create a 3D solid.  After drawing all possible
triangles and creating all the solids, combine them
with the UNION command to create a solid with the top
surface which passes through all your points.  Then
use the SECTION command to create regions.  the
regions can be exploded and turned into lines.  These
are the contours.

This is not a completly automated process and I know
this is not a complete explanation.  For a better one,
contact me off the list.  If there are more than, say,
100 or 200 points, it might be worth giving it to a
Civil drafter who knows how to use some application
designed for this.

MJ